If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Full Throttle Speed Tech Support > Standard MAF Translator Support > DSM MAFT Support
User Name
Password
Home Online Store Product Manuals Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2004, 05:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to nine5raptor
Question 2.x7 troubles

Mike,

I installed the 2.x7 chip today and ran into some troubles.

I set it up for a 3.5" sensor and set the base for 580s in a 2g, assuming the instructions for v2.08 are the same as for me.

I then started the car for the first time with the new chip in (the car was fully warmed up - I had just driven it with the 1.3 chip in it). The idle was cycling between 600 and 1200 in unison with the 02 voltage (go lean, idle dropped. go rich, idle raised). Then the red led started blinking. 8 blinks.
'Internal Flash memory reset'. Hmmm. Is that bad?

Go back out and start the car again. Idle is low (~600). I check the logger and 02 voltage is 0.00V. I tapped the gas and it never registered anything higher. I also tried every setting between 580cc and 450cc with no change in 02 voltage.

Is the chip fried?

I put the v1.3 chip back in and put my settings back where they were and it ran perfect again. I will try it again tomorrow, but I was wondering about the memory reset. Is that a normal first start thing?

TIA,
Chris

Chris Boucher
95 TSi AWD
Old 03-21-2004, 03:15 PM
DSM Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
Mike,

I installed the 2.x7 chip today and ran into some troubles.

I set it up for a 3.5" sensor and set the base for 580s in a 2g, assuming the instructions for v2.08 are the same as for me.

I then started the car for the first time with the new chip in (the car was fully warmed up - I had just driven it with the 1.3 chip in it). The idle was cycling between 600 and 1200 in unison with the 02 voltage (go lean, idle dropped. go rich, idle raised). Then the red led started blinking. 8 blinks.
'Internal Flash memory reset'. Hmmm. Is that bad?

Go back out and start the car again. Idle is low (~600). I check the logger and 02 voltage is 0.00V. I tapped the gas and it never registered anything higher. I also tried every setting between 580cc and 450cc with no change in 02 voltage.

Is the chip fried?

I put the v1.3 chip back in and put my settings back where they were and it ran perfect again. I will try it again tomorrow, but I was wondering about the memory reset. Is that a normal first start thing?

TIA,
Chris

I'm trying to remember if my car did the 8 led flash when it had a problem, or if it was something else.

Regardless, there is an initialization procedure. You want to set all of the knobs to 8 (I think, Mike or Bob can verify) and then power up the MAFT. That erases the memory and gives you a clean slate.

I think that may have been the only problem with the chip, so we can troubleshoot more after you get that fixed.

Last edited by kpt4321 : 03-21-2004 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:11 PM

This is what you are thinking of, I think... I will try it.

"2.x has diagnostic codes,

6 blinks means the stored base settings have a bad checksum. If re-saving
the base settings doesn't fix the problem, set all the dials to 8 and all
mode switches off, and power up, this should re-initialize the memory space
for the saved data.
We have already changed the way this works let me know what happens
Mike"

Arrrggh.

Mike, my red LED is blinking in 6 flash cycles. It will blink 6
times, about a second apart (or a bit less) and then stay off for a
couple seconds. Then, it cycles again. It does this when the
ignition is turned to on but the motor not running, and when the car
is on.

As far as I can tell from the logger, the wiring is all hooked up.
The ECU is getting all the signals it wants (temp, baro, Hz). I
also tried wiggling the connections, but didn't spend a huge amount
of time working on them.

What does this mean? Is the 6-flash cycle some kind of diagnostics
code?

...Kyle T.

Chris Boucher
95 TSi AWD

Last edited by nine5raptor : 03-22-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpt4321
I'm trying to remember if my car did the 8 led flash when it had a problem, or if it was something else.

Regardless, there is an initialization procedure. You want to set all of the knobs to 8 (I think, Mike or Bob can verify) and then power up the MAFT. That erases the memory and gives you a clean slate.

I think that may have been the only problem with the chip, so we can troubleshoot more after you get that fixed.

Ok, I set them all to 8 and all switches to off and powered on the maft. It gave the 8 blinks to say it was resetting. I gave it about 30 seconds then turned it off and setup my switches/dials again.

switches: on, off, off, off - 3.5" maf
I am running 580 cc/min injectors from ftss
dials:aux 5, base 0, idle 4, mid 0, wot 0

I started the car and it ran fine during startup/warmup. As soon as it came out of warmup mode, though, all went to hell. ltft was still at 11% from before, but my stft immediately went to 17% (max on a 95) while 02 voltage dropped to 0.00V and stayed there. I tapped the gas some and the 02 voltage cycled like it should. Likewise if I held the rpm at 2k or so, it would cycle. When I let up, though, the car tried to die and 02s sat at 0.

I first started moving the idle dial. I went all the way to 8 with no change in 02 voltage or fuel trims.

I then turned off the car and set the aux to 4 and base to F (same setting as before, just a different combo) and began richening up the base. I went all the way to 0 (430cc/min) with idle still set at 8 (+35%) without a change in 02s or fuel trims. Let it sit there and eventually the car died on me. Too lean to even keep running.

Any thoughts?

Chris Boucher
95 TSi AWD

Last edited by kpt4321 : 03-21-2004 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:49 PM
DSM Geek

Sounds like your chip got damaged or something... I'm really at a loss, you've done everything I would have suggested you do! :cool:

Hopefully Mike or Bob has an idea!

Note: I edited both of our posts, just to change what I said from "set all the knobs to 7," to the proper way to reset the memory which is setting them to "8".
Old 03-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

when a new chip is first installed it does the 8-blink to indicate that it cleared it memory, this is normal. I should have put a note in the instructions.

As far as why it doesn't run, make sure no chip pins got bent underneath when installing.

It should run fine.... With changing the adjustments that far, without affecting the car, it sounds like the unit is not receiving a MAF signal... Is the green LED turning on when you start the car, and get bright when you rev it?

The 6-blink only happens if the unit was in the middle of saving when the power got turned off, or something like that. If the unit powers up with no blinking leds then the memory passed internal diagnostics.

I can re-check the chip if you like.

B
Old 03-22-2004, 03:35 AM

Just to keep clear, I never got the 6 blinks, only the 8 which seem to be normal based on your post Bob. The post above was a copy/paste from the yahoo archives from a question Kyle had a couple of months ago.

I have installed the chip a couple of times now since I have to put the V1.3 back in (this is my only car), so I know the pins are not bent under. Also this is my only experience with installing a chip = v1.1 ->v1.3 and now 1.3 -> 2.x7 so I am being extremely careful (I'm paranoid I am going to bend it all up).

I didn't note any abnormalities with the lights when I was messing with it earlier. Mine is mounted in place of the ashtray so I should've noticed it. I do know the green led was on, but not bright when it was running.

I was watching the logger however when I was revving it.

The red led was lighting up to let me know the changes were accepted. I did watch for that.

Would you like me to send the chip back? Is there anything else I can do to check it out?

The car still runs perfectly with the v1.3 chip in place.

Chris

Chris Boucher
95 TSi AWD

Last edited by nine5raptor : 03-22-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:20 PM

Has this been resolved? I just installed the 2.0 upgrade chip in my '98 and I'm having the same issue. Setting idle to 8 and maxing out the 1000 rpm level (+50%) on my SAFC still leaves me slightly lean at idle. I've reset the maft and ecu.

I'm running a 3.5" maf, 550's.
MAFT settings are:
mode switches = on, off, off, off,
aux = 4, base = a, idle = 8, mid = 2, wot = c.

Car runs better than ever except for this idle issue.

John
Old 03-29-2004, 11:31 PM

Not yet. I haven't messed with it since I made that last post. The chip is just sitting there.

I need to check it again and if it won't work for me this time, I plan on sending it back for Bob to check it out.

Glad to hear yours will run even with a similar issue. Mine was too lean to even keep running.

Chris

Chris Boucher
95 TSi AWD
Old 03-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Regular

I just installed my chip and I have the same problems as the other two. Blinked 8 times for the memory flash. Turned it off after a minute, waited a minute and started the car. Idle is low, O2 dont move, pops and stutters at idle. Green LED is dim when car is running and bright when I rev it up.

Took it to the gas station, everytime I push the clutch in to idle, it dies. Put the old chip back in at the gas station. Now it runs perfect again.

Last edited by 4sfead : 03-30-2004 at 12:18 AM.